Thursday, December 18, 2014

Where the Natural World Stood

'The Almighty Hand' by Rebecca Rebouche
Photo by Sarah Bonnette, Times-Picayune

The Unlikely Naturalist
by Donald G. Redman

Her magic was unveiled
on a warm night In November.
Twinkling lights led
along a wooded path
to a clearing
where gothic creatures are standing in for
humanity.
Birds and fish swarm together,
zebras fall from the sky,
foxes carried on the back of a buffalo.
I feel the beauty and the profound meaning
of the world,
her supernatural face
brightly colored.
I visualize swans at night
And stars falling to the ground;
The world in pieces,
pouring into the shore.






'The Unlikely Naturalist' was created by repurposing an article by Sarah Bonnette in the north shore edition of the Times-Picayune featuring the artwork of Rebecca Rebouche'.

The inspiration behind blackout poetry comes from Austin Kleon.

First draft attempt:
It was a night full of magic/with twinkling lights vodka and cocktails./Musicians/in the clearing/Waited./An ethereal scene/200 people Hanging/where the natural world stood./Creatures standing in for/humanity
dream-like,/birds and fish swarm,/zebras fall from the sky,/foxes carried on the back of a buffalo./I felt the beauty and the profound meaning/Of the world./Her supernatural face unveiled,/A brightly colored hand struck me,/the tip of each finger containing swans/Eyes all around but only two are visible/I visualize swans at night and all the stars falling/To the ground

And:
 It was a night full of magic/in the clearing/Gothic creatures are standing./birds and fish swarm,/zebras mingle with whales,/foxes carried on the back of a buffalo./I felt the beauty and the profound meaning/Of the world.
I observe her face and/can’t sleep because/I visualize swans at night and all the stars falling/To the ground

And:
Her magic was unveiled/On a warm night/in a horse pasture../Twinkling lights led/Along a wooded path/To a clearing./Musicians had been camping/And sharing/Food and vodka and stout./They were the reason/200 people had come to the woods./Gothic creature standing for humanity./Birds and fish swarm together,/zebras fall from the sky,/foxes in trees/A swan carried on the back of a buffalo./I felt the beauty and the profound meaning/of the world./Then the Almighty Hand struck me./I can’t sleep./I visualize swans at night/And the stars falling to the ground,/The world a piano turning into birds./Human existence gone/And I am better for it.

Copyright 2014 Donald G. Redman All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment