Friday, March 18, 2011

Noche de Cita: A poem by Donald G. Redman



Noche de Cita
(Date Night)
by Donald G. Redman

Corona in yellow neon
illuminates the window
next to our corner table,
bathing us in a warm glow.

I’ve been drinking and I’m in love.
I weave my arm through the clutter
of plates and bottles and glasses
and grab your hand like a lecher.

I give you a tawdry wink
but you are too gracious to mock.
You smile conspiratorially
and turn to read the cactus clock.

I crave your neck in that moment,
with lemons and blue agave
and the saltiness of your flesh;
your intoxicating bouquet.

Neon peppers like red lips
peck the yellow wall behind you
and I think of Klimt’s “The Kiss”
and of making love to you.

Our waitress returns, busing our
plates littered with taco debris,
diced tomatoes, lettuce, grains of
Spanish rice and guacamole.

She asks if we want something else.
“A margarita, por favor.”
She turns to leave but you stop her,
telling her, “No más. No more.”

We’ve had enough; it’s time to leave.
You’re right, of course, we should go
but I want to stay here and keep
drinking you and José Cuervo.

Your lips part for the last sip
of plum-red sangria wine.
You wink and whisper the kids aren’t
home and we may still have time.

We stroll out like young lovers,
your hand inside mine like a glove
and I’m blue with happiness.
I’ve been drinking and I’m in love.


Copyright 2011 Donald G. Redman All Rights Reserved. Photo illustration by Donald G. Redman

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and romantic poem! Thanks so much for trying my shrimp! So glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete