Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Cowboy Sailor - a poem

E. Valjean Redman
1941



Cowboy Sailor
By Donald G. Redman

I found an old black & white of you -
You’re about twenty best as I can tell -
Cocksure in your Navy blues,
Hands on hips like a fashion model,
Bell bottoms tucked loosely
Inside a pair of cowboy boots.
A style of rebellion, maybe
Or just showing off those leather beauts?
Curls peeking under the Dixie Cup;
Puffing wisdom from a Canadian pipe.
You look ridiculous in that getup
And yet somehow rakish, the archetype
Of all young men off to war before
Knowing the horror of war.

An image of you so far-flung
From the old man residing in my mind -
My father, so incredibly young
And brash and unconfined.

I sift through time for your words
Like an archaeologist sieving
Sand dunes for ancient potsherds
Words of dismay, still disbelieving
The ravages of the relentless clock.

Having glimpsed your own reflection
You told me of your outright shock
Of having aged without detection.
The mirror reflected an old man;
You said that was impossible
For inside lived a much younger man -
A man still vigorous and vital.

I agreed with the mirror’s projection;
Standing before me was not a man of youth
But a relic from an ancient generation
How could you be so blind to the truth?

You’ve been gone for many years now
And I watch silently as time adds
New lines to my face as with a plow,
Carving up my youth with an adze.
I hear anew your lamentations
Understanding now that you had no choice
But to succumb to the depredations
Of time without consent or a voice.

The old man still lives large within -
I love the old you, I truly do -
But age has cleared my mind’s vision
And I can see the cowboy sailor, too.

You there, young buck in the photo,
With your arms akimbo
Like a comic book hero,
Where o where did you go?




Copyright 2014 Donald G. Redman All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

  1. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, launching America’s involvement in WWII, my dad was a young man in his third year of college. Swept up by the passion of a nation at war and his own sense for honor and duty, he withdrew from Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State University) and entered the U.S. Navy. Many, many years later, I came along, oblivious that he had ever been young. A couple of years before his passing, he told me that he had just seen himself in the mirror and had no idea who the old man was staring back at him. “I still feel like I’m eighteen,” he told me. I remember chuckling to myself, wondering if he had every really been eighteen.
    Now I’m the old man in the mirror, wondering what the hell happened.
    “Cowboy Sailor” is an homage to that youthful man I never knew or imagined ever existed. It was inspired by a photo taken of him in 1941 – and absurd juxtaposition of an Oklahoma cowboy in Navy blues. I had never seen that photo while he was still alive – trust me, I would have had endless joy ribbing him about it.

    ReplyDelete