Friday, January 28, 2011

"A Song for December" -- by Donald G. Redman

A Song for December
by Donald G. Redman

“Turn it up, daddy!” she pleaded
as I pulled into the driveway.
Her “favorite” song was on the radio.
She has a million favorite songs.
I turned the volume up and eased the truck
to a stop and placed the gearshift in park.
“Wait!” she cried as I reached for the keys.
She wanted us to stay
until the song was over.
I turned the headlights off
and the night swallowed us whole.
I killed the engine but
left the radio on
so she could sing her
duet with Taylor Swift.
She sang with the abandon
only a nine-year-old can do –
unashamedly and without pretense.
She glanced up at me and smiled,
then closed her eyes to block me out
so I wouldn’t ruin the moment.
The cab was bathed
in the soft blue light of the radio.
The music was loud and my little girl
was singing her heart out.
And so was Taylor Swift:
“I'd go back to December, turn around and make it alright
I go back to December all the time...”
I wanted us to remain forever in that moment –
huddled together inside the truck
on a cold, moonless December night,
listening to music and singing.
But all too suddenly the concert was over.
The stage went black.
It was time to go home.
She opened her eyes, smiled
and hopped out of the truck.
I turned the radio off, grabbed the keys
and silently entered the house.
As time moves me further away from that night
I hope I’ll be able to find my way back
to the cab of that truck
and find my girl there
singing her little heart out.
If I could
I’d go back to December all the time.

 
Copyright 2011 Donald G. Redman All rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. “A Song for December” was inspired by a recent night in December, in the cab of my pickup truck with my little girl Olivia... and Taylor Swift.
    The first draft was posted here on January 26, 2011.
    DGR – 1/28/2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have awesome memories not only with my own daughter singing her favorites tunes but also singing my favorite with my mom driving." Give me the beat boys to free my soul, wanta get lost in your rock and roll and drift away"

    ReplyDelete