Monday, March 14, 2011

Noche de Cita – a poem under construction

These are just my rough notes. I'm still adding to them. I intend to deconstruct and recononstruct in a more formalized poetic format.


Noche de Cita
(Date Night)
I’ve been drinking and I’m in love.
We’re nestled in the corner of the restaurante, sitting on straight back chairs flanking a small table set for two. Jalapeño peppers in green neon flicker against the ochre yellow wall behind you.
I sweep the beer bottles aside and reach across the table for your hand and give a tawdry wink. I think I’m being sexy. You are too gracious to laugh. Luscious lips form a knowing smile and you lower your gaze like an embarrassed schoolgirl.
Someone enters the restaurant and you lift your head to see if it’s someone we know.
I crave your regal neck in that moment. I imagine the faintly salty taste of your flesh with lemon and tequila. I am filled with agave and desire.
Our waitress returns and I lean back and finish my beer while she buses our table, removing plates smeared with red salsa and guacamole and littered with taco shards and lettuce and diced tomatoes and shredded yellow cheese.
She asks if I want something else. Dessert perhaps?
“Dos cervezas más,” I say, winking.
You cancel the order, saying we’ve had enough. You’re right, of course, but I want to stay where I am, bathed in the light of green neon jalapeños and red chili peppers, with cervezas and tequila coursing through my blood. I plead like a child resisting bedtime. You clasp my hand and look deeply into my eyes and wink.
I’ve been drinking and I’m in love.

Copyright 2011 Donald G. Redman All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment