Tuesday, August 21, 2012

10 Haiku


I recently rediscovered haiku – a form of poetry I never totally got before. I think today’s looser interpretations of haiku have broaden the boundaries, making it more appealing to me. I am, however, more willing today to explore the works of the Old Masters with a greater appreciation than I had in my youth.

Today I offer my first attempts...

10 Haiku

by Donald G. Redman

I.
Pan’s flute clogged with slime.
Algae blooms in the fountain.
Dog days of summer.

II.
A scoop of ice cream
melting on the hot sidewalk.
Tears like summer’s rain.

III.
Droplets of red light
like rubies on the windshield.
A wet commute home.

IV.
Birds yell from treetops
over the drone of lawnmowers.
Spring in the suburbs.

V.
A dewdrop dangles.
A dragonfly lands lightly.
A drip. A ripple.

VI.
Lucky is the child
Who can close her eyes and let
The world disappear.

VII.
Night comes without you.
An eternity passes.
I lie awake, still.

VIII.
Leaves stirred by a sigh.
I spy you among the trees,
But I look away.

IX.
A loon’s wail echoes
Across the blackened waters.
Heartache spreads like fog.

X.
Fallen rose petals
Litter the broken pathway.
Torn flesh bleeds anew.


Copyright 2012 Donald G. Redman All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment