Thursday, October 30, 2014

'Blindsided'

Blindsided
by Donald G. Redman

Mary Jane kisses me in traffic.
Long.
I hurry to exit the vehicle
And shyly began to apologize.
“I just … you …”
She was amused.
I had been standing
As a rodent
On the side of the road.
She smiled
Slightly
And told me that it would be best
If I just got back
in the car.
I was nervous
But my mouth
So glad.


Blindsided is a “blackout” poem, created by blacking out large swaths of words in a newspaper article while preserving others to create poetry.
The original article appeared in the Slidell community section of the Times-Picayune. It was a columnist’s recounting of an earlier Halloween experience when she had dressed in costume as one of three blind mice and caused an auto accident. It contained a lot of references to being blind and being angry. At first, that’s the direction I took while trying to cobble together a poem. The name Mary Jane (as in the traditional Halloween candy) was a keeper from the start.

First stab:
Mary Jane,
dressed in black.
Dark Glasses.
Blind
And extremely heavy….

Second attempt:
Mary Jane kisses me
And two of my closest friends …

OK, that left me with nowhere to go.

Third try (I return to the black dress):
Mary Jane
Dressed in black.
Amusing and clever.
Blind and extremely heavy,
I did not want to miss the princess.
Too much of a hurry,
I walk up
And began to apologize.
“I am blind.”
She was not amused.
I summoned the dark for an eternity….

Dreadful!

So another attempt… back to the kisses:
Mary Jane Kisses me.
That is not amusing.
I did not want to.
I apologize.
She is not amused.
She summoned the dark.
She’s mad.
I think she’s going to
Cut off
My mouth…

Nope. Worse than dreadful.

Again …
Mary Jane kisses me.
That is not my idea of fun …

Scratch.

And then I finally let go of the angry aspects of the story and embraced the kiss and the nervous tension and the sensual Mary Jane. The title, Blindsided, pays homage to the three blind mice of the original article, while describing the unexpected passionate kiss from Mary Jane.

The idea of blackout newspaper poetry comes from poet Austin Kleon.

No comments:

Post a Comment