Monday, October 20, 2014

'August White' - Blackout Poetry Experiment

AUGUST WHITE
by Cheryl Backes

Thrill seekers came here.
Surrendering to a strange land,
Hiking boots and layered in fleeces far
from home
White-knuckled drive up spiraling
switchbacks in swirling snow.
A weird experience in August.
Enchanted and ethereal, forbidding
and intimidating –
Ready to fall on you at any time.
“You’ll fall in love, you will.”
I had never given much thought.
A luminous smile, offering a comforting
pat on my shoulder.
“Nothin to stress over darling.”
I shivered with relief,
Stacked between my chowder and cold
beer
Like a deck of cards.
Up the mountain where the sheep
huddled against one another for acres, I
saw her dressed as a fairy godmother,
A celestial white bathed in golden light.
Forces of nature; good for the soul.
We feel alive.

Cheryl Backes wrote August White in response to my invitation to my friends to create poetry from newspaper articles by deleting or blacking out filler words while leaving some words and phrases untouched, yet connected poetically.

The source of inspiration for this technique, which I’ve dubbed “blackout poetry,” Comes from Texas-based poet/writer/illustrator Austin Kleon. I write about Kleon’s technique here.

Cheryl says she’d be amiss if she didn’t give credit to the author of the article, Joe Drape of The New York Times. “All of these beautiful phrases were penned by him,” she says.

Indeed, but Cheryl’s repurposing of Drape’s words has created a beauty of its own.


Copyright 2014 Cheryl Backes. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment